OOI Ocean Data Labs Development Workshop
June 1-6, 2019
Rutgers University Inn, New Brunswick, NJ
At this workshop, professors from around the country will come together to learn about and engage in efforts to bring Ocean Observatory Initiative (OOI) data into their undergraduate teaching. This workshop is part of our full series of Data Labs Workshop.
Key Objectives of the Data Lab Workshop
- 1. Learn about the OOI program and key science questions it addresses.
- 2. Access existing tools and resources designed to integrate OOI data into teaching.
- 3. Be introduced to Python as a tool for working with and engaging students in OOI data.
- 4. Learn how to effectively incorporate OOI data labs into undergraduate teaching.
- 5. Create a customized new resource to bring OOI data into your classes.
- 6. Have an opportunity to network with other professors interested in using oceanographic data. in undergraduate teaching.
- Day 1: Laying the groundwork for understanding and using OOI data in teaching; explore existing OOI data labs
- Day 2: Exploring Python and building data skills; Generating ideas for how you will bring OOI data into your undergraduate course
- Day 3: Creating a plan: what OOI customized resource will I create?
- Day 4: Develop and refine your OOI customized resource
- Day 5: Reflection and presentations: looking forward; planning for future applications of OOI in my teaching.
Agenda and Resources
Orientation – Saturday June 1, 2019
|Time||Topic, Objectives & Activities|
|4:00 pm||Check -in begins at the University Inn|
|6:00 pm||Dinner – University Inn Dining Room|
|7:00 pm||Welcome and Introductions
Meet each other and review the goals of the week.
|8:30 pm||Conclude for evening|
- Karen Baker, Orange Coast College
- Nicholas Beaird, Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Claire Condie, Middlesex County College
- Rich Dixon, Texas State University
- Jacqui Degan, Cape Fear Community College
- Robert Ellis, Orange Coast College
- Melissa Hicks, Onondaga Community College
- Siddhartha Mitra, East Carolina University
- Colleen Petrik, Texas A&M University
- Paul Webb, Roger Wiliams University