OOI Ocean Data Labs Development Workshop
March 8-13, 2019
Chauncey Conference Center, Princeton, NJ
At this workshop, professors from around the country will come together to learn about and engage in efforts to bring Ocean Observatory Initiative (OOI) data into their undergraduate teaching.
You can learn more about our full series of Data Lab Workshops
Key Objectives of the Data Lab Workshop
- Learn about the OOI program and key science questions it addresses.
- 2. Access existing tools and resources designed to integrate OOI data into teaching.
- 3. Be introduced to Python as a tool for working with and engaging students in OOI data.
- 4. Learn how to effectively incorporate OOI data labs into undergraduate teaching.
- 5. Create a customized new resource to bring OOI data into your classes.
- 6. Have an opportunity to network with other professors interested in using oceanographic data. in undergraduate teaching.
- Day 1: Laying the groundwork for understanding and using OOI data in teaching; explore existing OOI data labs
- Day 2: Exploring Python and building data skills; Generating ideas for how you will bring OOI data into your undergraduate course
- Day 3: Creating a plan: what OOI customized resource will I create?
- Day 4: Develop and refine your OOI customized resource
- Day 5: Reflection and presentations: looking forward; planning for future applications of OOI in my teaching.
Agenda and Resources
Orientation – Friday March 8, 2019
|Time||Topic, Objectives & Activities|
|7:30 pm||Welcome and Introductions
Meet each other and review the goals of the week.
|8:30 pm||Conclude for evening|
- Tania-Maria Anders, Mt. San Antonio College
- Kathy Browne, Rider University
- Haley Cabaniss, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Walter Cho, Point Loma Nazarene
- Rebecca Freeman, University of Kentucky
- Karen Helgers, SUNY Ulster
- Megan Jones, North Hennepin Community College – Geology
- Joseph Long, University of North Carolina Wilmington
- Cecilia McHugh, Queens College, City University of New York
- Michael Navarro, University of Alaska Southeast
- Jochen Nuester, CSU Chcio
- Jessica Olney, Hillsborough Community College
- Michael Phillips, Illinois Valley Community College
- Lauren Sahl, Maine Maritime Academy
- Matthew Semcheski, Florida Keys Community College
- Gabriella Smalley, Rider University
- Christine Tuaillon, Nassau Community College
- Amy Weislogel, West Virginia University
- Carol White, Southern Maine Community College
- Alicia Williams, University of New England
- Christine Bean, Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Catherine Halversen, Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley
- Kristin Hunter-Thomson, Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Sage Lichtenwalner (@visualocean), Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Janice McDonnell, Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Anna Pfeiffer-Herbert, Stockton University
- Dax Soule (@DaxSoule), Queens College, CUNY