Earth Educators Rendezvous, Nashville, TN
Data Labs: Using Ocean Observatory Initiative (OOI) Data to Engage Students in Oceanography
July 16-17, 2019
This two-day National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored workshop focused on the integration of Ocean Observing Initiative (OOI) data into undergraduate teaching of introductory oceanography themes and concepts. Participants explored ways to effectively teach with data, shared effective practices, and brainstormed ideas for how to integrate OOI data into introductory oceanography and Earth and environmental science courses. Professors from Community Colleges, Primary Undergraduate Institutions (PUI), and Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) who teach introductory courses (100 and 200 level) were especially encouraged to attend.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Learn about the OOI program and the key science questions it addresses.
- Access existing tools and resources designed to integrate OOI data into teaching.
- Learn how to effectively incorporate OOI Data Labs into your classes.
- Network with other professors interested in using oceanographic data in undergraduate classrooms.
Day One – Tuesday, July 16
|Time||Topic, Objectives & Activities|
|1:30-2:15||The OOI Today: An introduction to its history and the science it supports
Understand the driving forces that created the OOI and how it can enable future scientific research
Understand what the OOI was designed to do and why
|2:15-3:00|| Example Implementation of a Data Lab in the Classroom: Anoxic Events
Dr. Kathy Browne (Rider University), Dr. Rebecca Freeman (University of Kentucky), and Dr. Lauren Sahl (Maine Maritime Academy) share their experience developing and implementing this new Data Lab.
|3:00-3:45|| Explore the Existing Data Labs Collection
Hands on exploration of the Data Labs online collection of Data Explorations
Data Explorations round-robin discussion and reflection
|3:45-4:00||Day 1 Reflection & Evaluation
Day 1 Roadcheck
- Sage Lichtenwalner (@visualocean), Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Janice McDonnell, Rutgers University – New Brunswick