Exploring the Ocean with OOI Data
A collection of laboratory exercises featuring data from the Ocean Observatories Initiative.
This lab manual was pilot tested during the Fall 2020 semester; the feedback is currently being reviewed and an updated version will be published in Summer 2021.
This version of the lab manual will remain available at this location for the Spring 2021 term and we welcome you to continue to use these exercises.
- Lab 1 – Introduction to the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) – The collection of oceanographic data
- Lab 2 – Building Data Skills – The display of oceanographic data
- Lab 3 – Geology – Plate Tectonics and the Seafloor
- Lab 4 – Geology – Sea Floor Changes in a Volcanically Active Setting
- Lab 5 – Ocean Chemistry – Investigating Density and Stratification in the Ocean
- Lab 6 – Ocean Physics – Waves Generated by Large Storms
- Lab 7 – Primary Production – Identify factors that control Primary Production in the western temperate Atlantic Ocean
- Lab 8 – Anoxic Events – Solve the mystery of the dying crabs
- Lab 1 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 2 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 3 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 4 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 5 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 6 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 7 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 8 – Instructor Guide
Lab Manual Background
- Authors, Editors and Copyright
- Reviewer Acknowledgements