Exploring the Ocean with OOI Data – 2nd Edition
A collection of laboratory exercises featuring data from the Ocean Observatories Initiative.
Lab Chapters & Authors
|Lab 1 – Introduction to the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) – The collection of oceanographic data
|Lab 5 – Ocean Chemistry – Investigating Density and Stratification in the Ocean
Interactive Data Visualization Designer (all labs)
- Denise L. Bristol, Hillsborough Community College-SouthShore
- Anna Pfeiffer-Herbert, Stockton University
Project Staff: Rutgers University
- Project Manager: Janice McDonnell
- Project Coordinator: Christine Bean
- Project Assistant: Devin Busono
The Ocean Data Labs Manual was developed by collaborating undergraduate professors to:
- Engage undergraduate students with online large data set activities related to key oceanography concepts.
- Build student confidence in scientific questioning, data analysis, and synthesis while capitalizing on large, professionally-collected data sets like the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI).
- Teach students about authentic, messy scientific data vs ‘cleaned-up’ textbook examples.
- Train undergraduate students in basic data skills, data interpretation and analysis, and reinforce those skills within each lab chapter.
- Ensure that each activity and widgets are properly scaffolded to be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds.
- Provide a real world context for the oceanographic data and introduce students to data skills that they can use as science majors or non-majors.
- To build data literacy and critical thinking skills in undergraduate students.
- Provide instructors from a variety of different backgrounds with online and ‘Plug and Play’ versions of lab activities for their classes.
- Provide lab activities follow a typical course sequence, but may be used as stand alone modules.
- Be used in a variety of introductory oceanography (or similar geosciences) courses at 2YC or 4YC.
- Flexible for use in face-to-face, online or hybrid lecture or lab courses.
- Lab 1 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 2 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 3 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 4 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 5 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 6 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 7 – Instructor Guide
- Lab 8 – Instructor Guide
For more information on the datasets used in this lab manual, including Python notebooks showing how many of the datasets were processed, check out Data Sources for the OOI Lab Manual.
©2021 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. All rights reserved.
We encourage the reuse and dissemination of the material in this lab manual for noncommercial education purposes as long as attribution is retained. To this end, the material in this manual, unless otherwise noted, is offered under a Creative Commons license Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0.
Attribution should include, at a minimum, citation of the chapter with authors and editors in the following format and indicate if changes were made:
[contributing chapter authors] and Lichtenwalner, S. (2021). [chapter title]. In Bristol, D.L. and Pfeiffer-Herbert, A. (Eds.), Ocean Data Labs: Exploring the Ocean with OOI Data – Online Laboratory Manual. 2nd edition. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Accessed [date] https://datalab.marine.rutgers.edu/ooi-lab-exercises/
We would like to thank the many Faculty Reviewers who pilot tested the manual in the Fall of 2020, and provided valuable feedback that allowed us to greatly improved the 2nd edition. A second round of faculty reviews will take place in the Fall of 2021.
This project was developed with the support of the National Science Foundation under Grant No. OCE-1831625. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.