2024 Ocean Sciences Meeting
OOI Data Labs Workshop
Engaging students in oceanography with authentic datasets
Wednesday, February 21, 2024
10:30 am to 3:30 pm
Omni Riverfront Hotel
Join us alongside the 2024 Ocean Sciences Meeting in New Orleans for a National Science Foundation (NSF) sponsored workshop focused on integrating Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) data into undergraduate courses.
Participants will explore the online interactive OOI Data Lab Manual and other resources created by our community of oceanography professors. Come learn from peer faculty how to effectively use OOI data and activities in your introductory Oceanography, Earth, and related Environmental Science courses.
Professors who teach or are developing introductory (e.g. 100 and 200 level) courses are especially encouraged to attend.
We also highly encourage faculty at HBCU, MSI, HSI, Tribal, 2-year, and primarily undergraduate institutions to consider attending as well.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Learn about the OOI program and the key science questions it addresses.
- Access existing tools and resources designed to integrate OOI data into teaching.
- Learn how to effectively incorporate OOI Data Labs into your classes.
- Network with other professors interested in using oceanographic data in undergraduate classrooms.
- Space is limited to 35 participants.
- Participants will receive lunch, and lots of coffee.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until capacity is reached. Please apply by January 5, 2024 to insure early consideration. Applications will be accepted after that date only if capacity remains.
- Small travel stipends are available to help offset the cost of attending the workshop, especially for those participants not attending OSM, those traveling from the Louisiana/Mississippi region, or those who have limited resources to support travel to conferences.
Registration at the 2024 Ocean Sciences Meeting is not required to attend this workshop. However, for those who are attending, we encourage you to attend the “Ocean Observations” poster section on Thursday night and talks on Friday morning where you will have a chance to hear from many other OOI Data Labs community members on their work.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.