Earth Educators Rendezvous 2021 (online)
Data Labs: Online Lab Manual for Introductory Oceanography Courses
Thursday, July 15; 4:15-6:45 pm ET
Workshop participants explored version 2.0 of the Online Lab Manual, guided by lab chapter authors and implementers from the initial pilot test in Fall 2020. After an overview of the Lab Manual pedagogy and components, participants met in smaller groups to review individual lab manual chapters along with the learning goals and the instructional support available for the activities.
By the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Understand the scope and sequence of the OOI Data Labs Online Lab Manual and how the activities can fit into a typical introductory oceanography course.
- Explore 1-2 lab manual chapters in detail, including the interactive data tools, the instructor guide, and the built-in student assessments.
- Create an action plan for how you can incorporate specific activities into your upcoming courses.
- Reflect and brainstorm with faculty colleagues on the topics of engaging students with real data and how to adapt Lab Manual activities for a variety of students and teaching modes.
- Connect with the OOI Data Labs Community, and understand the different resources for teaching with real data that are available on the project web site.
- Sara Beck, Palomar College
- Karen Bridges, Howard Community College
- Eleanor Camann, Red Rocks Community College
- Lisa Doner, Plymouth State University
- Neysa Gabriel, Unity College
- Sarah Glancy, University of Hawaii – West Oahu
- Peggy McNeal, Towson University
- Sasha Seroy, University of Washington – Seattle
- Caitlin Tems, Weber State University
- Meg Blome, East Carolina University
- Rebecca Freeman, University of Kentucky
- Mikelle Nuwer, University of Washington – Seattle
- Gabriela Smalley, Rider University
- Michael Vendrasco, Pasadena City College
- Denise Bristol, Hillsborough Community College
- Anna Pfeiffer-Herbert, Stockton University
- Sage Lichtenwalner, Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Janice McDonnell, Rutgers University – New Brunswick
- Christine Bean, Rutgers University – New Brunswick