Ocean Data Labs: Exploring the Ocean with OOI Data
Online Laboratory Manual
- Denise L. Bristol, Hillsborough Community College-SouthShore
- Anna Pfeiffer-Herbert, Stockton University
|Lab 1 – Introduction to the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) – The collection of oceanographic data
Lab 2 – Building Data Skills – The display of oceanographic data
Lab 3 – Geology – Plate Tectonics and the Seafloor
Lab 4 – Geology – Sea Floor Changes in a Volcanically Active Setting
|Lab 5 – Ocean Chemistry – Investigating Density and Stratification in the Ocean
Lab 6 – Ocean Physics – Waves Generated by Large Storms
Lab 7 -Primary Production – Identify factors that control Primary Production in the western temperate Atlantic Ocean
Lab 8 – Anoxic Events – Solve the mystery of the dying crabs
Interactive Data Visualization Designer (all labs)
- Project Assistant: Devin Busono, Rutgers University
- Project Coordinator: Christine Bean, Rutgers University
- Project Manager: Janice McDonnell, Rutgers University
This Data Labs Notebook was developed by collaborating undergraduate professors to:
- Engage Undergraduate students with online large data set activities related to key oceanography concepts.
- Build student confidence in scientific questioning, data analysis, and synthesis while capitalizing on large, professionally-collected data sets like the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI).
- Teach students about authentic very messy scientific data vs ‘cleaned-up’ textbook examples
- Train undergraduate students in basic data skills, data interpretation and analysis, and reinforce those skills within each lab chapter.
- Ensure that each activity and widgets are properly scaffolded to be accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds.
- Provide a real world context for the oceanographic data and introduce students to data skills that they can use as science majors or non-majors.
- To build data literacy and critical thinking skills in undergraduate students
- Provide Instructors, from a variety of different backgrounds, data lab activities that are online and ‘Plug and Play’ versions of lab activities for their classes
- Be used in a variety of Introductory Oceanography (or similar geosciences) courses at 2YC or 4YC.
- Lab activities follow a typical course sequence, but may be used as stand alone modules.
- Flexible for use in face-to-face, online or hybrid lecture or lab courses
©2020 Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, All rights reserved.
We encourage the reuse and dissemination of the material on this site for noncommercial education purposes as long as attribution is retained. To this end the material on this site, unless otherwise noted, is offered under a Creative Commons license Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0.
Attribution should include, at a minimum, citation of the chapter with authors and editors in the following format:
[contributing chapter authors] and Lichtenwalner, S. (2020). [chapter title]. In Bristol, D.L. and Pfeiffer-Herbert, A. (Eds.), Ocean Data Labs: Exploring the Ocean with OOI Data – Online Laboratory Manual. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Accessed [date] https://datalab.marine.rutgers.edu/ooi-lab-exercises/
This project was developed with the support of the National Science Foundation under Grant No. OCE-1831625. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.