Lab 6.1 – How quickly can atmospheric conditions change?
Estimated time to complete: 15 minutes
Materials needed: None
Your objective for this activity is to use OOI data to examine how the atmospheric conditions above the ocean change. Specifically we will look at atmospheric pressure and wind speed at the ocean surface for a one-week period (January 1 – January 7, 2018). The data is from the central surface buoy in the OOI Pioneer array
- What is the maximum and minimum barometric pressure during this week?
- What is the day and time when the maximum and minimum occur?
- What is the barometric pressure on January 3, 2018 at 1800?
- Describe the barometric pressure between January 1 and the end of January 4.
Atmospheric Pressure and Wind Speed
- What is the maximum and minimum wind speed during this time period?
- Describe any relationship you see between the barometric pressure and wind speed.