Lab 6.2 – How does the ocean react to changes in the atmosphere?
Estimated time to complete: 30 minutes
Materials needed: calculator
Your objective for this activity is to use OOI data to investigate how the changes in the atmosphere you examined in Lab 6.1 impact the ocean surface.
Atmospheric Pressure and Wind Speed
- Calculate the total decrease in barometric pressure between January 4, 2018 0000 and January 4, 2018, 1800.
- How much did the winds increase during this same 18-hour time period?
- How many hours did the wind speed stay above 12 m/s?
Wave Height and Wind Speed
- Identify the maximum wind speed and maximum wave height during the week.
- Describe how wave height responds to changes in wind speed